Skip to main content

99 Lonely Quotes

  1.  All still lifes are actually paintings of the world on the sixth day of creation, when God and the world were alone together, without man! Robert Musil
  2. Then stirs the feeling infinite, so felt In solitude, where we are least alone. Lord Byron
  3. But we cannot rely on memorials and museums alone. We can tell ourselves we will never forget and we likely won't. But we need to make sure that we teach history to those who never had the opportunity to remember in the first place. Dan Rather
  4. The English Bible - a book which, if everything else in our language should perish, would alone suffice to show the whole extent of its beauty and power. Thomas B. Macaulay
  5. Where I come from, it was a heresy to say you wanted to be in movies, leave alone American movies. Daniel Day-Lewis
  6. It's important to say that actors can't act alone, it's impossible. What we have to do is support each other. Philip Seymour Hoffman
  7. I think I jump around more when I'm alone. Nicolas Cage
  8. Whoever wants to know something about me - as an artist which alone is significant - they should look attentively at my pictures and there seek to recognise what I am and what I want. Gustav Klimt
  9. All men's misfortunes spring from their hatred of being alone. Jean de la Bruyere
  10. Man is a creature who lives not upon bread alone, but primarily by catchwords. Robert Louis Stevenson
  11. Man's ultimate concern must be expressed symbolically, because symbolic language alone is able to express the ultimate. Paul Tillich
  12. Virtue is not left to stand alone. He who practices it will have neighbors. Confucius
  13. The strong man is strongest when alone. Friedrich Schiller
  14. The golden opportunity you are seeking is in yourself. It is not in your environment it is not in luck or chance, or the help of others it is in yourself alone. Orison Swett Marden
  15. When I walked to school in the mornings I would start out alone but would pick up four other boys along the way. We would set out together after school across the village green. Roald Dahl
  16. On stage, I make love to 25,000 different people, then I go home alone. Janis Joplin
  17. We can be tired, weary and emotionally distraught, but after spending time alone with God, we find that He injects into our bodies energy, power and strength. Charles Stanley
  18. Muslims must believe that all power, success and victory comes from God alone. Abu Bakar Bashir
  19. I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best. Frida Kahlo
  20. The flesh endures the storms of the present alone the mind, those of the past and future as well as the present. Gluttony is a lust of the mind. Thomas Hobbes
  21. The question is what will Mitt Romney do as president if his policy is simply to be hands off and let the government be made so small it can be drowned in a bathtub. In the 21st century global economy, no state alone has the ability to compete against China. Jennifer Granholm
  22. Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. Pericles
  23. Another thing I like to do is sit back and take in nature. To look at the birds, listen to their singing, go hiking, camping and jogging and running, walking along the beach, playing games and sometimes being alone with the great outdoors. It's very special to me. Larry Wilcox
  24. The best part about being alone is that you really don't have to answer to anybody. You do what you want. Justin Timberlake
  25. With fame there is a crosswire between intensity and intimacy. You have decoy intimacy, but you are also very much alone. Mike Myers
  26. Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone. Charlie Chaplin
  27. I need, absolutely, to be alone. Jeanne Moreau
  28. I think the greatest amount of pressure is the pressure I place on myself. So in a way I chose to be alone. Cathy Freeman
  29. Friends are very important to me, and I have always had many of them. There are probably many reasons why this is so, but two seem to me more valid than any of the others I am a naturally friendly person, and I hate to be alone. Georg Solti
  30. There are two types of poor people, those who are poor together and those who are poor alone. The first are the true poor, the others are rich people out of luck. Jean-Paul Sartre
  31. I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair. Clint Eastwood
  32. For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone. Audrey Hepburn
  33. As strong as the United States is, we can't deal with terrorism alone. Madeleine Albright
  34. The longer one is alone, the easier it is to hear the song of the earth. Robert Anton Wilson
  35. It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. Thomas Jefferson
  36. Remember we're all in this alone. Lily Tomlin
  37. I want to be with those who know secret things or else alone. Rainer Maria Rilke
  38. I love the solitude of being on a plane and finally getting to read an entire book and being left alone. Christina Ricci
  39. Self-reverence, self-knowledge, self-control these three alone lead one to sovereign power. Alfred Lord Tennyson
  40. War alone brings up to their highest tension all human energies and imposes the stamp of nobility upon the peoples who have the courage to make it. Benito Mussolini
  41. Take a course in good water and air and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone no harm will befall you. John Muir
  42. Solitude is strength to depend on the presence of the crowd is weakness. The man who needs a mob to nerve him is much more alone than he imagines. Paul Brunton
  43. Success comes when people act together failure tends to happen alone. Deepak Chopra
  44. Slump, and the world slumps with you. Push, and you push alone. Laurence J. Peter
  45. People talk about the conscience, but it seems to me one must just bring it up to a certain point and leave it there. You can let your conscience alone if you're nice to the second housemaid. Henry James
  46. The accumulation of skill and science which has been directed to diminish the difficulty of producing manufactured goods, has not been beneficial to that country alone in which it is concentrated distant kingdoms have participated in its advantages. Charles Babbage
  47. Just as a cautious businessman avoids investing all his capital in one concern, so wisdom would probably admonish us also not to anticipate all our happiness from one quarter alone. Sigmund Freud
  48. This, then, is the test we must set for ourselves not to march alone but to march in such a way that others will wish to join us. Hubert H. Humphrey
  49. I feel so good after a workout. Any time you can be alone with yourself is really important. Shay Mitchell
  50. Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both. Eleanor Roosevelt
  51. In the U.S. alone, weather disasters caused $50 billion in economic damages in 2010. Jeff Goodell
  52. Style used to be an interaction between the human soul and tools that were limiting. In the digital era, it will have to come from the soul alone. Jaron Lanier
  53. Testing oneself is best when done alone. Jimmy Carter
  54. Work alone will efface the footsteps of work. James Whistler
  55. Often we can help each other most by leaving each other alone at other times we need the hand-grasp and the word of cheer. Elbert Hubbard
  56. Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. John Quincy Adams
  57. Liberal that I am, I support health-care reform on its merits alone. My liberal blood boils, for example, when I read that half of the personal bankruptcies in this country are brought on, in part, by medical expenses. Thomas Frank
  58. I thought about how we need to make children feel that there are times in their lives when they need to be alone and quiet and to be able to accept their aloneness. Bell Hooks
  59. One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork. Edward Abbey
  60. Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not the world is full of educated failures. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge
  61. Every animal leaves traces of what it was man alone leaves traces of what he created. Jacob Bronowski
  62. Our language has wisely sensed the two sides of being alone. It has created the word loneliness to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word solitude to express the glory of being alone. Paul Tillich
  63. Only the lonely know the way I feel tonight. Roy Orbison
  64. As regards parents, I should like to see them as highly educated as possible, and I do not restrict this remark to fathers alone. Quintilian
  65. I don't want to be alone, I want to be left alone. Audrey Hepburn
  66. For me, growing up, the downside of it was that as a kid you don't want to stand out. You don't want to have a famous father let alone get a job because of your famous father, you know? But I'm a product of nepotism. That's how I got my foot in the door, through my dad. Jeff Bridges
  67. I don't think I ever got the hang of the writers' room. I love collaborating with people, but I really do my best work alone, and I think I would want to - if I did something again, I think I'd want to take total ownership the way Aaron Sorkin or David Kelley does. Diablo Cody
  68. I'm not at the point where I'd feel safe in a house alone. I would be really scared. I'm the kind of person that when I get up to go use the bathroom I have this big long hallway, and I just know someone's going to jump out and get me. Britney Spears
  69. Too many Christians have a commitment of convenience. They'll stay faithful as long as it's safe and doesn't involve risk, rejection, or criticism. Instead of standing alone in the face of challenge or temptation, they check to see which way their friends are going. Charles Stanley
  70. What a lovely surprise to finally discover how unlonely being alone can be. Ellen Burstyn
  71. And if you don't believe the sun will rise, stand alone and greet the coming night in the last remaining light. Chris Cornell
  72. The writer is all alone. V. S. Naipaul
  73. Had the United States and the United Kingdom gone on alone to capture Baghdad, under the provisions of the Geneva and Hague conventions we would have been considered occupying powers and therefore would have been responsible for all the costs of maintaining or restoring government, education and other services for the people of Iraq. Norman Schwarzkopf
  74. Britain, relative to the U.S., is a highly secular society. Philanthropy alone cannot fill the gap left by government cutbacks. And the sources of altruism go deep into our evolutionary past. Jonathan Sacks
  75. I love my government not least for the extent to which it leaves me alone. John Updike
  76. Yes, I will bring the understanding of a woman to the Court, but I doubt that alone will affect my decisions. Sandra Day O'Connor
  77. Let your mind alone, and see what happens. Virgil Thomson
  78. I'm not someone who likes to have my picture taken, let alone see it plastered all over the place. Laura Linney
  79. I get a friend to travel with me... I need somebody to bring me back to who I am. It's hard to be alone. Leonardo DiCaprio
  80. As a child, I wanted only two things - to be left alone to read my library books, and to get away from my provincial hometown and go to London to be a writer. And I always knew that when I got there, I wanted to make loads of money. Julie Burchill
  81. It's an interesting combination: Having a great fear of being alone, and having a desperate need for solitude and the solitary experience. That's always been a tug of war for me. Jodie Foster
  82. I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan I would faint if I met him, let alone got to work with him. Emma Roberts
  83. One travels more usefully when alone, because he reflects more. Thomas Jefferson
  84. He that can live alone resembles the brute beast in nothing, the sage in much, and God in everything. Baltasar Gracian
  85. Jealousy is no more than feeling alone against smiling enemies. Elizabeth Bowen
  86. I try to push ideas away, and the ones that will not leave me alone are the ones that ultimately end up happening. J. J. Abrams
  87. Death is the mother of Beauty hence from her, alone, shall come fulfillment to our dreams and our desires. Wallace Stevens
  88. All conservatism is based upon the idea that if you leave things alone you leave them as they are. But you do not. If you leave a thing alone you leave it to a torrent of change. Gilbert K. Chesterton
  89. I must try and break through the cliches about Latin America. Superpowers and other outsiders have fought over us for centuries in ways that have nothing to do with our problems. In reality we are all alone. Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  90. If those committed to the quest fail, they will be forgiven. When lost, they will find another way. The moral imperative of humanism is the endeavor alone, whether successful or not, provided the effort is honorable and failure memorable. E. O. Wilson
  91. Perhaps I know best why it is man alone who laughs he alone suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter. Friedrich Nietzsche
  92. You can't get rid of it with exercise alone. You can do the most vigorous exercise and only burn up 300 calories in an hour. If you've got fat on your body, the exercise firms and tones the muscles. But when you use that tape measure, what makes it bigger? It's the fat! Jack LaLanne
  93. I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered at the White House - with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone. John F. Kennedy
  94. You are never so alone as when you are ill on stage. The most nightmarish feeling in the world is suddenly to feel like throwing up in front of four thousand people. Judy Garland
  95. I think Mr. Wilson will have to be the rest of the way alone. Flip Wilson
  96. Remember, man does not live on bread alone: sometimes he needs a little buttering up. John C. Maxwell
  97. You can work on the saxophone alone, but ultimately you must perform with others. Steve Lacy
  98. When everything is lonely I can be my best friend. Conor Oberst
  99. Men don't even ask me out. I can't remember the last time I was asked out on a date, and I'm talking years here. I spend my life more and more alone. Anna Nicole Smith


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

99 Hilarious Quotes

It's funny how intimate it feels to get a text. Sophie Ellis Bextor We all know how funny Morrissey is. Actually, you know what? I say that sarcastically. His songs are some of the funniest songs I've ever heard in my life. I mean, really. I mean, not that the 'Girlfriend in a Coma' is, like, really funny. Zach Galifianakis If my films make one more person miserable, I'll feel I have done my job. Woody Allen A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: She changes it more often. Oliver Herford I may be a living legend, but that sure don't help when I've got to change a flat tire. Roy Orbison Literature has drawn a funny perimeter that other art forms haven't. Jonathan Safran Foer I intend to live forever. So far, so good. Steven Wright Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday. Don Marquis This is the great thing about Northern Ireland. I walk down the street and people stop me and say things like, 'I know you. You're that wee go

99 Life Quotes

 Life is lived on the edge. Will Smith I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands you need to be able to throw something back. Maya Angelou For the happiest life, days should be rigorously planned, nights left open to chance. Mignon McLaughlin Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of. Benjamin Franklin The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Bertrand Russell My life is my message. Mahatma Gandhi When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another. Helen Keller We continue to shape our personality all our life. If we knew ourselves perfectly, we should die. Albert Camus The Indian Summer of life should be a little sunny and a little sad, like the season, and infinite in wealth and depth of tone, but never hustled. Henry Adams Life has a higher end, than to be amused. William Ellery Channing The quality of life

99+ Love Quotes

 Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. James A. Baldwin Never make your home in a place. Make a home for yourself inside your own head. You'll find what you need to furnish it - memory, friends you can trust, love of learning, and other such things. That way it will go with you wherever you journey. Tad Williams Unless you love someone, nothing else makes any sense. e. e. cummings So, fall asleep love , loved by me... for I know love, I am loved by thee. Robert Browning Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives. C. S. Lewis True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen. Francois de La Rochefoucauld Even though I love solar and love wind, like most people do, I like the renewable sources, they alone are not going to get America energy independent. Mitt Romney Love is a spirit of all compact of fire. Shakespeare, William Behold, my friends, the spri